Hal Miller passed away Wednesday morning, November 25. He was 84.
Hal had been a member of SMPTE since 1960. His career in the still and moving image business began during World War II:
- U.S. Navy Photographer 1942-1946
- On staff staff of Admiral Nimitz in the Pacific theater, 1943-46
- Cook County Hospital, Chicago, Medical Photographer 1946-1960
- Bell & Howell 1960-1986:
- Test lab engineer 1960-1967
- Chief Engineer of Product Test Lab 1967-1980
- Manager, Quality Assurance, Video Duplication 1980-1986
- Manager, Quality Assurance, Video Duplication 1986-1992
- Technicolor: Video Consultant 1992-2001
- Harold Miller Associates Video Consultants 2001+
Hal served the Detroit Section in all elective and appointed offices, including Test Materials advisor. For his many services to SMPTE and the Detroit Section, Hal was nominated for and presented the Citation for Outstanding Service to The Society one year ago. He also volunteered at the Detroit Institute of Arts, assisting in efforts to archive and preserve visual and audio recorded materials.
Hal’s knowledge and sharp sense of humor will be missed by all of his friends in the industry.
The family requests that memorial contributions can be made to Hal’s passion in retirement, the Detroit Institute of Arts Film Theater, so that the work resulting from his efforts may continue.